Reser Stadium Information
Reser Stadium is an outdoor athletic stadium in the northwest of United States. It is located on the campus of Oregon State University in Corvallis, Oregon. The stadium is also the home of the Oregon State Beavers of the Pac-12 Conference. Reser Stadium opened in 1953 as Parker Stadium but was renamed in 1999. Its current seating capacity is 43,363. Additionally, its playing field is at an approximate elevation of 240 feet (73 m) above sea level.
To be exact, the stadium’s location is on the southwest corner of the Oregon State campus at the intersection of SW 26th Street and SW Western Boulevard in Corvallis. In addition to football, intramural and club sports also use the facility occasionally.
From 1910 to 1953, the Beavers played their home games at Bell Field (now the site of the Dixon Recreation Center). They also played as many as four games a year at Multnomah Stadium in Portland prior to the construction of Reser Stadium. In 1948, Oregon State president August L. Strand, athletic director Spec Keene, and Portland businessman Charles T. Parker met up to plan a replacement for Bell Field.
Charles Parker who was a 1907 alumnus, kicked off the stadium fundraising campaign in 1949. He also made significant contributions of his own. After almost two years, construction of the stadium began in 1952. The stadium was named in Parker’s honor, for his efforts and kindness. The first game was played on Homecoming, November 14, 1953, in front of 28,000 fans. The Beavers defeated Washington State 7–0.
The stadium was renovated in 1958, 1965, and 1967, reaching a capacity of approximately 40,500 seats. However, the architect’s full intent never came to fruition. The roof over the main southwest grandstand was approved in 1988. Due to the completion of the original Valley Football Center behind the northwest end zone, capacity was reduced to 35,362 in 1990. The roof and new press box were completed in 1991.
Decades later, in June 1999, the stadium was renamed to honor Al and Pat Reser, owners of Reser’s Fine Foods. The couple graduated from Oregon State in 1960, and are major donors to both the university and Beavers athletics for a long time. Although the name of the stadium was changed, that does not mean Charles Parker was forgotten by the university or the Beavers. The Parker name is still honored at Parker Plaza which is located between Reser and Gill Coliseum, the site of many pregame activities.
From its opening until the 1968 season, the stadium’s playing surface was natural grass. AstroTurf was installed in 1969, and replaced in 1974 and 1977. The brand was switched to All-Pro artificial turf in 1984. The new turf was in place for 15 seasons and later replaced in 1999 with AstroTurf 12/2000. Infilled FieldTurf debuted in 2005, and was replaced before the 2012 season.
Through the 2004 season, the official capacity of the stadium stood at 35,362. In 2003, the Raising Reser campaign was initiated. An increase of seating capacity to 43,300 for the 2005 season by way of constructing a new grandstand along the northeast sideline, with plans to eventually reach 55,000 seats through three phases of renovation were the results of the campaign.
Phase Two of the Raising Reser project was completed between the 2006 and 2007 football seasons. This phase enclosed the horseshoe in the southeast end zone with continuous seating in the corners. This addition raised total seating capacity to 45,674 and included the new 80-by-30-foot (24 m × 9 m) ProStar Digital VideoPlus Display screen.
During the planned Phase Three, the upper level was extended through the southwest grandstand. The north end zone became home to the Valley Football Center, which houses a large weight room, offices, and meeting facilities, reserved primarily for coaches and administrators within the football program.
In December 2014, an expansion project for both the stadium and Valley Football Center named Victory Through Valley was announced as part of $42 million in upgrades. The renovations began in Fall 2015 and were completed by the beginning of the 2016 football season. The upgrades included a new auditorium, coaches offices, team room, locker room, rehab facilities, and hall of fame. The new additions and upgrades have helped with recruiting, competitiveness, and functionality.
Apart from being a sports stadium, Reser Stadium is occasionally used for various non-athletic events, particularly events such as commencement, held every June. The change to the infield playing surface has also allowed the stadium to hold notable speakers such as astronaut John Glenn and former First Lady Michelle Obama.
For further information on Reser Stadium please read the following pages:
Reser Stadium Parking:
Read all available parking options at the Reser Stadium.
Find out more about our ticket guarantee and other ticket policies.
Reser Stadium Seating Chart:
View the main seating configuration for the Reser Stadium events and find out more about accessible seating.